Clipped From The Index-Journal

preacherdq Member Photo

Clipped by preacherdq

 - Morris Chapel founded in 1885; By CHAR LEE...
Morris Chapel founded in 1885; By CHAR LEE MARSHALL Index-Journal staff writer . GREENWOOD The congregation at Morris Chapel Baptist has been serving the Lord since 1865. The church, on Baptist Avenue in Greenwood, was organized by the Rev. Frank Morris. Isaac Evans donated the land for the church and he later became its first Sunday school superintendent. The members first worshipped under a brush arbor. When winter came, and there was still no church building, a local Presbyterian church allowed them to use its old building for worship. Morris Chapel Baptist Church came into existence at a time of un rest and uncertainty. "It was a very difficult time for people who had been so long in bondage and slavery," said Rev. Ed F. Johnson, author of "The Story of Morris Chapel Baptist Church jn Bits and Pieces." He is currently pastor of the church. "Newcomers to freedom, without Certification of their skills, talents and knowledge - former slaves, American Negroes, our foreparents, set out to carve their place in society. As a result, Morris Chapel was born." "During this period of unrest and uncertainty, here in what we now know as Greenwood, 32 years before Greenwood County was established, men and women of courage, Promised Land gave chance to farm, live under the divine leadership of God, set out to organize a church in what was then Abbeville County." Rev. Johnson did research into the events of the time period when the church was formed as he prepared to write Morris Chapel's history. Among the facts he recorded was that after the Civil War a new state legislature recognized the freedom of the Negroes by ratifying the Thirteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. This amendment prohibited slavery in the United States of America. MACEDONIA Macedonia Baptist Church was organized with 12 charter members in 1893 in the home of William and Rachel Dandy on Mineral Street under the sponsorship of Morris Chapel Baptist Church. The Rev. Charles Franklin was the first pastor. Services were held in the Dandy home until the first permanent house of worship, a wooden structure on Marion Street, was built. Under the administration of Rev. T.H. Broadus, a brick church was built. The church debt was paid and the mortgage was burned in 1944. Many improvements were made to the church plant and plans for expansion and renovation were made. MAYS UNITED METHODIST Trinity United Methodist Church of Ninety Six was officially named May's United Methodist Church in 1989. Trinity's history began more than a hundred years ago when Prince Graham, who lived in the Mt. Carmel area, and seven other young men erected a structure in order that they might hold prayer meetings. They were given a parcel of land on which they first erected a Brush Arbor. Then came a church build-' ing. Brush ArborTrinity had been a community outreach and the community responded by helping to complete the church. A parsonage was build near the church to house the pastors for the four churches on the charge. ALLEN EASLER

Clipped from
  1. The Index-Journal,
  2. 30 May 1997, Fri,
  3. Page 50

preacherdq Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in